1. Choose an appropriate place to manoeuvre. If you need to turn your vehicle around, wait until you find a safe place. Try not to reverse or turn round in a busy road; find a quiet side road or drive round a block of side streets.
2. Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
3. Look carefully before you start reversing. You should -
- Use all your mirrors
- Check the ‘blind spot’ behind you (the part of the road you cannot see easily in the mirrors)
- Check there are no pedestrians (particularly children), cyclists, other road users or obstructions in the road behind you.
Reverse slowly while
- Checking all around
- Looking mainly through the rear window
- Being aware that the front of your vehicle will swing out as you turn.
Get someone to guide you if you cannot see clearly.
4. You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary.